Saturday, July 16, 2011

Euro Journal: Day 6 Paris: Le Marais, Bastille, Canal Saint-Martin Fri 15 July 2011

Caro and I slept until almost noon. We are gonna have lunch with her mom and brother, but it was postponed to dinner. We decided to catch a film before it. I mentioned that I saw a few interesting films that were showing in MK2 cinema. So we set our way to the theatre in Le Marais. Again, we couldn't find any bike in the neighborhood, so we had to take a bus. Luckily, the bus just arrived when we got to the stop close to Gare du Nord.

Before the film, Caro took me to the restaurant she adores a lot, Le Pain Quotidien, to have brunch. It was a really lovely and quite an amount of meal. Then she showed me around Le Marais. The weather was beautiful for the stroll. The MK2 cinema was right beside Centre Georges Pompidou, aka Beaubourg, so it was also convenient for me to take a look at the outside of it.

The film we saw was 'Deep End,' a film released in 1970 by the acclaimed Polish director Jerzy Skolimowski. If it wasn't for Marek, the director I just met in Taipei, I wouldn't have been so interested in it. And the result showed that he made a great recommendation, it was a powerful film. I will write about it as soon as possible.

We walked to Bastille where we will have dinner and passed by a cool lane full of exotic bars, mostly Spanish and Latino. I am already thinking about going back to have a drinking night there. We got to the restaurant, La Table d'Aligre, at 8.30pm and were the first to arrive. Caro's mom and her friend, Sylvie and Anne arrived shortly after us, and Caro's brother Manu showed up immediately as well. The food and drink in the restaurant was fantastic. It's my kind of an ideal Parisian restaurant.

After the dinner, we got back on the bikes to go to a place by Canal Saint-Martin to meet Caro's dear friends, Jules, Olivier, Anton, Felix etc. We planned to stay at a really cool bar there, but they just stopped serving drinks since it's shortly before their closing time when we got there. So we had to grab drinks and drink by the canal. It was a great time getting drunk and chatting there at night.

No comments: